Is SEO worth it for small businesses? Well, it might be but not always. SEO is not a sure bet for all small businesses. There are so many variables that play into this answer.
I have only worked for myself since I was 21 years old. I first owned a small rock climbing store straight out of college. While this was not a smart business move it was my “business education” as my Dad likes to say.
I have a deep understanding and appreciation for what it means to run a small business and answer the question is (fill in the blank) worth it.
In this article, we’ll dive into what SEO is, the benefits and challenges of SEO for small businesses, and the factors you need to consider before deciding to invest in SEO.
We’ll also cover the benefits of SEO for small businesses, DIY SEO vs. SEO consultant, and my final thoughts on whether SEO is worth it for small businesses.
What is SEO?
SEO, or search engine optimization, is the practice of optimizing your website to improve your ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs).
By optimizing your website for search engines, you can improve your visibility to potential customers who are searching for your products or services.
SEO can include on-page optimization, such as optimizing your website content and structure, as well as off-page optimization, such as building backlinks to your website.
How does SEO work?
SEO works by optimizing a website’s content, structure, and other factors to improve its ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs).
This involves various on-page and off-page optimization techniques, such as optimizing website content with relevant keywords, improving website speed and performance, building high-quality backlinks to the website, and other technical and non-technical factors.
By improving these factors, a website can attract more organic traffic from search engines, leading to increased visibility, more leads, and ultimately more revenue.
What are the benefits of SEO for small businesses?
SEO offers several benefits for small businesses, including:
- Increased website traffic and visibility
- Improved user experience for visitors
- Cost-effective marketing compared to other methods
- Higher conversion rates from relevant traffic
- Enhanced brand visibility and authority
By leveraging the benefits of SEO, small businesses can attract more visitors, increase their customer base, and establish themselves as leaders in their industry.
What are some common SEO practices that small businesses can implement?
Some common SEO practices that small businesses can implement include:
- Keyword research and optimization: Conducting keyword research to find relevant keywords and optimizing website content and metadata with those keywords.
- Creating high-quality content: Creating valuable and engaging content that appeals to your target audience.
- On-page optimization: Optimizing website structure, URLs, titles, and meta descriptions to improve search engine rankings.
- Off-page optimization: Building high-quality backlinks to the website from other authoritative websites.
- Local SEO: Optimizing website content and metadata for local search queries to attract more local traffic.
- Technical optimization: Optimizing website speed, performance, and security to improve user experience and search engine rankings.
By implementing these SEO practices, small businesses can improve their website’s ranking in search engines and attract more relevant traffic to their website, leading to increased revenue and growth.
Benefits of SEO for Small Businesses
Small businesses can benefit from SEO in several ways. Here are some examples:
How does SEO increase website traffic?
SEO can increase website traffic by improving a website’s ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs), making it more visible to potential customers.
By ranking higher in SERPs, a website can attract more clicks and visitors, leading to increased traffic.
For example, a small business that sells organic pet food can use SEO to optimize its website for keywords such as “organic pet food” and “natural pet food,” making it more likely to appear in search results for those keywords and attract more organic traffic to its website.
How does SEO improve user experience?
SEO can improve user experience by optimizing website content and structure to make it more accessible and user-friendly.
By making a website easier to navigate and use, SEO can help visitors find the information they need more quickly and easily, leading to a better overall user experience.
For example, a small business that provides landscaping services can use SEO to optimize its website for local search queries, making it easier for potential customers to find information about its services, service areas, and contact information.
How does SEO enhance brand visibility?
SEO can enhance brand visibility by improving a website’s ranking in SERPs, making it more likely to appear at the top of search results for relevant keywords.
By appearing at the top of search results, a website can increase its brand visibility and establish itself as a leader in its industry.
For example, a small business that provides personal training services can use SEO to optimize its website for keywords such as “personal trainer” and “fitness coach,” making it more visible to potential customers who are searching for those services.
How does SEO lead to higher conversion rates?
SEO can lead to higher conversion rates by attracting more relevant traffic to a website, increasing the likelihood that visitors will convert into customers.
By optimizing a website’s content and structure for relevant keywords and search queries, SEO can attract more targeted traffic that is more likely to convert.
For example, a small business that sells handmade jewelry can use SEO to optimize its website for keywords such as “handmade jewelry,” “unique jewelry,” and “custom jewelry,” attracting more relevant traffic to its website and increasing the likelihood of conversions.
How is SEO more cost-effective than other marketing methods?
Compared to other marketing methods such as paid advertising and outbound marketing, SEO can be more cost-effective for small businesses.
SEO requires an upfront investment in time and resources, but once a website is optimized, it can continue to attract organic traffic and generate leads and revenue over time.
For example, a small business that specializes in vintage clothing can use SEO to optimize its website for keywords such as “vintage clothing,” “retro fashion,” and “vintage dresses,” attracting more organic traffic to its website and generating leads and revenue without the ongoing expense of paid advertising or other outbound marketing methods.
“SEO is a long-game strategy. It takes time to see the results, but it can be more powerful than many other channels combined.”
|Increased website traffic
|By ranking higher in search engine results pages, you can attract more visitors to your website.
According to a study by Backlinko, the first result on Google’s search engine results page (SERP) gets 31.7% of all clicks, while the second result only gets 24.5%, demonstrating the importance of ranking higher in SERPs to attract more visitors to your website.
|Improved user experience
|By optimizing your website for search engines, you can also improve the user experience for your visitors.
According to a survey conducted by Search Engine Journal, 70% of users say they prefer clicking on organic search results rather than paid ads, indicating the importance of optimizing your website for search engines to provide a better user experience for your visitors.
|Enhanced brand visibility
|By appearing higher in search engine results pages, you can increase your brand’s visibility to potential customers.
According to a study by HubSpot, 75% of users never scroll past the first page of search engine results, demonstrating the importance of appearing higher in search engine results pages to increase your brand’s visibility to potential customers.
|Higher conversion rates
|By attracting more relevant traffic to your website, you can also increase your conversion rates.
According to a study by Neil Patel, companies that blog have 97% more inbound links, and companies with more inbound links have higher conversion rates, demonstrating the importance of attracting more relevant traffic to your website to increase your conversion rates.
|Compared to other marketing methods, SEO can be a cost-effective way to attract more visitors to your website.
According to a survey conducted by BrightEdge, organic search drives over 50% of website traffic for both B2B and B2C businesses, indicating the effectiveness of SEO in attracting more visitors to your website as compared to other marketing methods.
Challenges of SEO for Small Businesses
How can small businesses overcome the cost of SEO?
While SEO can be cost-effective in the long run, it can still be challenging for small businesses with limited budgets. Here are some ways that small businesses can overcome the cost of SEO:
- Focus on low-cost strategies: Small businesses can focus on low-cost SEO strategies, such as optimizing their Google My Business listing, building local citations, and creating valuable content that attracts organic traffic.
- Outsource to freelancers: Small businesses can outsource their SEO needs to freelancers who offer affordable rates for their services. According to a survey conducted by Clutch, 23% of small businesses outsource their SEO needs to freelancers.
- Invest in training: Small businesses can invest in SEO training for their staff to build in-house SEO capabilities and reduce the need for outsourcing.
According to a study by The Manifest, 55% of small businesses spend more than $1,000 per month on SEO services.
By focusing on low-cost SEO strategies and investing in SEO training for your staff, small businesses can overcome the cost of SEO and see a significant return on investment.
What are some time-saving tips for implementing SEO?
SEO can be a time-consuming process, but there are ways that small businesses can save time and still see results. Here are some time-saving tips for implementing SEO:
- Focus on the most impactful tasks: Small businesses can prioritize the most impactful SEO tasks, such as optimizing website content and building high-quality backlinks, to see the greatest results with the least amount of effort.
- Automate where possible: Small businesses can use SEO tools and automation to streamline their SEO tasks and save time. For example, tools like SEMrush and Moz can help with keyword research, website audits, and tracking metrics.
- Leverage existing resources: Small businesses can leverage existing resources, such as customer reviews and social media accounts, to boost their SEO efforts and save time on content creation.
According to a study by Backlinko, websites that publish content more than once per week get 3.5 times more traffic than websites that publish content less frequently.
Focus on the most impactful SEO tasks, automate where possible, and leverage existing resources.
How can small businesses differentiate themselves from their competitors in terms of SEO?
In highly competitive industries, it can be challenging for small businesses to stand out from their competitors in terms of SEO. Here are some ways that small businesses can differentiate themselves:
- Focus on niche keywords: Small businesses can focus on niche keywords that are relevant to their business but not highly competitive, such as long-tail keywords or location-specific keywords.
- Create valuable content: Small businesses can create valuable content that is unique and useful to their target audience, such as how-to guides, industry news, and case studies.
- Build high-quality backlinks: Small businesses can build high-quality backlinks from authoritative websites in their industry, demonstrating their expertise and authority.
- Optimize for local search: Small businesses can optimize their website and content for local search queries to attract more local traffic and stand out from competitors.
According to a survey conducted in 2023 by BrightLocal, 98% of consumers searched online for a local business, highlighting the importance of local SEO for small businesses.
Focus on niche keywords, create valuable content, build high-quality backlinks, and optimize for local search. This is how small businesses can differentiate themselves from their competitors.
Factors to Consider
How can small businesses identify their target audience?
Identifying a target audience is a crucial step in developing an effective SEO strategy. Here are some ways that small businesses can identify their target audience:
- Conduct customer research: Small businesses can conduct customer research to understand their customers’ needs, preferences, and behaviors. This can involve surveys, interviews, and analyzing customer data.
- Analyze website analytics: Small businesses can analyze their website analytics to understand their current audience and how they interact with the website.
- Research industry trends: Small businesses can research industry trends and competitor strategies to understand the larger market and target audience.
According to a survey conducted by HubSpot, 61% of marketers say that improving SEO and growing their organic presence is their top inbound marketing priority.
“By understanding your target audience, you can create content that resonates with them and attract more relevant traffic to your website.”– Rand Fishkin
How can small businesses conduct a competitive analysis for SEO?
Analyzing competitors’ SEO strategies can help small businesses identify opportunities and gaps in their own SEO efforts. Here are some steps to conduct a competitive analysis for SEO:
- Identify competitors: Small businesses can identify their main competitors in their industry and analyze their website, content, and backlink strategies.
- Analyze keywords: Small businesses can analyze the keywords that their competitors are targeting and use that information to inform their own keyword strategy.
- Evaluate website content: Small businesses can evaluate their competitors’ website content and use that information to create unique and valuable content that differentiates them.
- Assess backlink profiles: Small businesses can assess their competitors’ backlink profiles and use that information to build their own high-quality backlinks.
According to a study by SEMrush, 76% of domains ranking in the top 10 search results have at least one backlink pointing to them.
“By analyzing your competitors’ SEO strategies, you can identify opportunities and gaps in your own strategy and adjust your approach accordingly.”– Neil Patel, Founder of Neil Patel Digital
How can small businesses set realistic goals for SEO?
Setting realistic goals is important for measuring the success of an SEO strategy. Here are some steps to set realistic goals for SEO:
- Define objectives: Small businesses should define clear objectives for their SEO strategy, such as increasing website traffic, generating more leads, or improving conversion rates.
- Analyze data: Small businesses can analyze their website analytics and other metrics to understand their current performance and set realistic targets for improvement.
- Set benchmarks: Small businesses can set benchmarks for their SEO metrics based on industry averages and competitor performance.
- Establish timelines: Small businesses should establish realistic timelines for achieving their SEO goals and track progress regularly.
According to a survey conducted by Databox, 64% of marketers say that improving search engine rankings is their top SEO goal.
By setting realistic goals and tracking progress, you can ensure that your SEO efforts are aligned with your overall business objectives.
What resources do small businesses need to implement SEO?
Implementing an effective SEO strategy requires some investment in time and resources. Here are some resources that small businesses may need:
- SEO tools: Small businesses may need to invest in SEO tools, such as keyword research tools, website auditing tools, and backlink analysis tools.
- Staffing: Small businesses may need to hire an SEO specialist or dedicate staff time to managing their SEO strategy.
- Content creation: Small businesses may need to create new content or optimize existing content to improve their SEO performance.
- Technical expertise: Small businesses may need technical expertise to make changes to their website, such as updating metadata or fixing technical issues that affect SEO.
- Budget: Small businesses may need to allocate a budget for outsourcing SEO services or investing in paid advertising.
According to a study by Search Engine Land, 57.4% of small businesses plan to increase their SEO budget in the next year.
Implementing an effective SEO strategy requires a time and resource investment but the return can be significant in terms of increased website traffic, leads, and revenue.
What metrics should small businesses use to measure the success of their SEO efforts?
Measuring the success of an SEO strategy is important to understand its impact and make adjustments as needed. Here are some metrics that small businesses can use to measure the success of their SEO efforts:
- Organic traffic: Small businesses can track their website’s organic traffic over time to measure the impact of their SEO efforts.
- Keyword rankings: Small businesses can track their website’s rankings for target keywords to understand how their SEO strategy is performing.
- Conversion rates: Small businesses can track their website’s conversion rates to measure the impact of their SEO strategy on lead generation and revenue.
- Backlink profile: Small businesses can track their backlink profile to measure the impact of their link building efforts on their website’s authority and visibility.
- Bounce rate: Small businesses can track their website’s bounce rate to measure the impact of their SEO efforts on user experience.
According to a study by Smart Insights, the average website conversion rate is 2.35%, highlighting the importance of tracking conversion rates and optimizing for conversions.
By measuring the impact of their SEO efforts on organic traffic, keyword rankings, conversion rates, backlink profiles, and bounce rates, small businesses can optimize their SEO strategy for maximum impact.– Eric Siu, CEO of Single Grain
|Who are you trying to reach with your SEO efforts, and what are their search habits and preferences?
|How competitive is your industry, and how are your competitors approaching SEO?
|What are your overall business goals, and how can SEO help you achieve those goals?
|What resources do you have available to invest in SEO, including time, budget, and personnel?
|What metrics will you use to measure the success of your SEO efforts, and how will you track those metrics over time?
Example: A small fashion brand might focus on attracting younger customers who are more likely to search for fashion-related keywords on social media, and use metrics like click-through rates and time on site to measure the success of their SEO efforts.
DIY vs Professional SEO Consultant
What are the pros and cons of doing SEO yourself? Small businesses may be tempted to do their SEO themselves to save costs, but there are pros and cons to consider:
- Control: By doing SEO themselves, small businesses have greater control over the strategy and implementation.
- Cost savings: Doing SEO in-house can be cost-effective in the short term, as there are no additional expenses for outsourcing.
- Learning experience: Doing SEO themselves can be a valuable learning experience for small businesses to develop in-house SEO capabilities.
- Time-consuming: SEO can be time-consuming, especially for businesses with limited resources.
- Lack of expertise: Small businesses may not have the technical expertise or knowledge of best practices to develop an effective SEO strategy.
- Risks: Poorly executed SEO can lead to penalties and a negative impact on search rankings.
According to a study by Moz, the average time it takes to see SEO results is 4-12 months, depending on the industry and competition.
What are the advantages of hiring an SEO consultant?
Hiring an SEO professional can offer small businesses access to expertise and resources that may not be available in-house. Here are some advantages of hiring an SEO professional:
- Expertise: SEO professionals have specialized knowledge and experience in developing effective SEO strategies.
- Time savings: Outsourcing SEO to a professional frees up small businesses to focus on other areas of their business.
- Tools and resources: SEO professionals have access to a range of tools and resources to help execute a successful strategy.
- Consistent results: SEO professionals can provide consistent results and adapt to changes in search algorithms.
According to a survey conducted by Clutch, 47% of small businesses outsource their SEO needs to a digital marketing agency.
By hiring an SEO professional, small businesses can access expertise and resources that may not be available in-house.
What should small businesses look for in an SEO consultant or agency?
Choosing the right SEO agency is essential for the success of a small business’s SEO strategy. Here are some things to look for in an SEO agency or working with an SEO consultant:
- Relevant experience: Small businesses should look for an agency with experience in their industry or niche, as they will have a better understanding of the target audience and competition.
- Transparency: Small businesses should look for an agency that is transparent in their approach, provides regular reporting, and is responsive to questions and concerns.
- Proven track record: Small businesses should look for an agency with a proven track record of delivering results for their clients, through case studies, client testimonials, and references.
- Communication: Small businesses should look for an agency that communicates clearly and effectively, and is accessible and responsive to their needs.
Small businesses must make a smart choice when it comes to selecting an SEO agency.
The right agency can help take your business to the next level, and it all starts with finding one that has the right experience, a commitment to transparency, a solid track record, and excellent communication skills.
By partnering with an agency that ticks all these boxes, small businesses can achieve their SEO goals and reach new heights of success.
|Lower costs, full control over the process
|Lack of expertise, time-consuming
|Hiring an SEO professional or agency
|Expertise and experience, time-saving
|Cost, lack of control
According to a survey conducted by Clutch, 61% of small businesses choose to outsource their SEO needs to an agency or freelancer.
However, there are also some drawbacks to hiring an SEO professional or agency, including:
- Cost: Hiring an SEO professional or agency can be expensive, especially for small businesses with limited budgets. (Source: Forbes)
- Lack of control: By hiring an SEO professional or agency, you may have less control over the SEO process and the changes made to your website. (Source: Digital Shift)
Example: A small software startup might have the resources and expertise to do their own SEO in-house, but could benefit from hiring an SEO agency if they’re looking to scale their SEO efforts.
Choosing the Right SEO Agency
If you do decide to hire an SEO professional or agency, there are several things you should look for to ensure that you’re choosing the right agency for your business. These include:
- Experience and expertise: Look for an agency that has experience in your industry and a track record of successful SEO campaigns. (Source: Neil Patel)
- Transparency: A good SEO agency should be transparent about their methods and the results they’re achieving. (Source: Forbes)
- Communication: Make sure that the agency you choose is communicative and responsive to your questions and concerns. (Source: Search Engine Journal)
- Pricing: Look for an agency that offers pricing and services that fit within your budget and align with your goals. (Source: The Manifest)
A transparent and communicative SEO agency is a must-have for small businesses looking to achieve their SEO objectives.
It’s important to have a clear understanding of the strategies being implemented and the results they’re delivering, which is why finding an agency that prioritizes transparency and open lines of communication is so crucial. Don’t settle for anything less than a partner who keeps you in the loop every step of the way.
|Experience and expertise
|Look for an agency that has experience in your industry and a track record of successful SEO campaigns.
|A good SEO agency should be transparent about their methods and the results they’re achieving.
|Make sure that the agency you choose is communicative and responsive to your questions and concerns.
|Look for an agency that offers pricing and services that fit within your budget and align with your goals.
According to a survey conducted by Moz, 28% of small businesses report spending between $1,000 and $2,500 per month on SEO services.
Example: A small marketing agency might hire an SEO agency that specializes in their niche market and has a proven track record of successful campaigns, and communicates regularly with them to ensure their SEO efforts align with their overall marketing strategy.
Final Thoughts: So Is SEO Worth It for Small Businesses?
Ultimately, the answer depends on your unique business needs and goals. If you’re looking to increase your website traffic, improve your user experience, and enhance your brand’s visibility, SEO can be a highly effective way to achieve those goals.
By considering the factors we’ve outlined in this article, you can make an informed decision about whether to invest in DIY SEO or hiring an SEO consultant or agency to help you.
SEO can offer numerous benefits for small businesses, but it also comes with challenges and requires careful consideration before investing time and resources.
By following best practices, tracking your metrics, and adapting to the constantly changing landscape of SEO, small businesses can harness the power of search engine optimization to reach more customers and achieve their business objectives.
About the author
Mike McKearin is the CEO at WE•DO | SEO Expert | Adventurer | Optimist
Mike has a long history in the world of SEO, studying it and testing various methods for over two decades now. When he's not working on his business or being a dad, Mike loves to go on adventures with his family - they live in the beautiful state of North Carolina and love exploring all that it has to offer. He's an optimist who believes that anything is possible if you set your mind to it, and he wants to help others achieve their dreams through WE•DO
Free WordPress SEO Analysis
Want more traffic to your WordPress website? Get a free WordPress SEO Analysis and see how you can improve your traffic to get more sales online.
*This is a human SEO audit. Once we review your site we will reach out to schedule a time to review with you.